What is it that people think about most on a daily basis?

02:31 Yale study in 2008 shows cultural guideline behavior is embedded into the subconscious during early childhood development to reduce the unpredictibility of how to act and behave (Bargh, J.,Morsella, E.,2008)

Scientists say the conscious mind is only about 10% of our thinking capacity. So where is the other 90% ? In our subconscious.

03:00 Neuroscience research demonstrated that the brain is subconsciously aware of our decisions before we have consciously made those very decisions. They took 36 people and monitored them on an MRI. The cortex of our brain decided up to 7 seconds before the person consciously made the decision (Soon, 2008). Your subconscious combs through your memories and past experiences makes the best decision based on those experiences and it does it in a matter seconds.

Vincent DaCosta in life 101 says Locked away in your subconscious mind is everything you have ever known or experience. Every thought, every word, every song, every harsh and angry word expressed, every loving act performed. Your subconscious is a vast storehouse of all your past experience, and has overwhelming influence on all your actions and reactions. Most of us are not aware of the subconscious or its tremendous power to bring success and happiness into our lives (DaCosta, 2009).

05:40 Testing how my subconscious was being affected

  • Violence  (News)
  • Thinking about a companion when you don’t want one (Radio/Television)

09:35 Dr. Joseph Murphy states your subconscious mind does not have the ability to argue or dispute what it is told. If you give wrong information, it will accept it as true. It will then work to make that information correct. It will bring your suggestions, even those that were false, to pass as conditions, experiences, and events. This is in his book the power of the subconscious mind (Murphy, 2008).

How much are you influenced currently by what you see and hear? How can you reprogram your subconscious?

  • Break the habit and go on a mental fast
  • Ditch the cable, commercials, t.v. shows
  • Listen to music without words

Thought of the week is “What if” What if you weren’t constantly thinking of xyz.  What yould you spend that time doing? Use that thought to try out the 30 days away from radio, television and see how much you can accomplish.



Bargh, J.,Morsella, E.,(2008) The unconscious Mind: Perspect Psychol Sci. 2008 January ; 3(1): 73–79.retrieved 9/8/2016 from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440575/pdf/nihms-49128.pdf

DaCosta, V. (2009) Life One-0-One: Find your Purpose by Vince DaCosta.West Conshohoken, Pa:  Infinity Publishing

Murphy, J. M.D., D.D (2008) The Power of your Subconscious Mind. Floyd,Va: Wilder Publishing

Soon, C. S., Brass, M., Heinze, H. J. & Haynes, J. D. (2008).  Unconscious Determinants Of Free Decisions In The Human Brain.  Nature Neuroscience 11 (5), 543–5.